On March 15, 1727, eight men of East Enfield, as Somers was then called, gathered to form an ecclesiastical society. On that same day, Rev. Samuel Allis, who had recently graduated from Harvard, was inducted as our first pastor. Prior to that, the East Enfield folks made the sixteen mile round trip each Sunday to their mother church, the Enfield Congregational Church.
In those early days, church and town government were closely intertwined. Town meeting minutes noted that financial provision be made for the erection of a meeting house and so, after much discussion about location and size, in the fall of 1731, a plain wooden meeting house was built on the northwest corner of Springfield Road and Stebbins Road where our North Cemetery is today.